Civil Union Information

Click here for Marriage License Information

"Civil Union" means a relationship established by two eligible persons pursuant to Article 15 (C.R.S. 14-15-101) that entitles them to receive the benefits and protections and be subject to the responsibilities of spouses. Where and when can a license be obtained in Gilpin County, Colorado?

  • Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Gilpin County Old Courthouse, 203 Eureka Street, Central City, CO 80427
Blood Tests
  • Blood tests are not required for either party in the state of Colorado
Age Requirements
  • No parental consent is required for 18 years or older
  • Ages (over 18 and not under guardianship or over 18 with guardian permission)
  • If applicant is younger than 16 years old, consent of parents/guardian AND judicial approval (Court Order) are required
How to Apply
  • Apply in the Clerk & Recorder's office.
  • Complete the application form.
  • The fee is $30.00.
  • The license is valid for 35 days from date of issuance.
  • The license is only valid for use within the State of Colorado.
  • Both parties must complete and sign the civil union application form.
  • At least one party must apply in person. If one party cannot appear in person, they must complete an affidavit from our office with a notarized signature.
  • A couple wishing to renew their vows or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license stating that they are married to each other.
  • If divorced you must provide location and date of divorce.
  • Either party to the union may change their name.
License Process
  • Forward completed Civil Union Certificates to the Clerk & Recorder within 63 days of solemnizing.
  • Failure to file within 63 days will require a late fee of up to $50.00.
  • You have 98 days total to complete the process.
Proof of Identity and Age
  • Out-of-state issued photo driver license or photo identification card.
  • Any Colorado driver license, Colorado 7-day Affidavit and notice of Revocation or Affidavit and Notice of Suspension, or Colorado identification card expired less than 1 year.
  • Certified birth certificate (Federal, State, County, Dept, or Justice, Dept. of State and Bureau of Indian Affairs) Birth Certificates issued by the hospital are NOT acceptable.
  • Us Passport expired less than 10 years.
  • Valid Foreign Passport.
  • Valid Us military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard).
  • Original or certified copy of the DD214 (US military separation papers) from the Department of Defense or veteran Affairs. Any DD214 with the disclaimer “Not to be used for identification” is not acceptable.
  • Tribal Identification Card.
  • United States of United States Territory Certified court order of adoption, (must include date of birth).
Identification NOT Accepted
  • Baptismal Certificates
  • Mexican Consular I.D. (Matricula Consular)
  • Judges, retired judges, magistrates and public officials authorize to perform civil union ceremonies or in accordance with any mode of recognized by a religious denomination or Indian Tribe or Nation.
  • Clergy from out-of - state need not be registered in Colorado.
  • Witnesses are not required, but some clergy, judges, or public officials may request them.
  • A couple may not create a civil union when one of the parties is still married or in a civil union to another person.
  • Divorces must be final.
  • Civil Unions between ancestor and descendant is prohibited whether half or whole blood. (Civil Unions between cousins is permitted). First cousins are acceptable.
Gilpin County | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation.