Motor Vehicle Rules, effective March 1, 2016:
1. To avoid any misunderstandings we will not quote fees or give estimates over the phone.
2. Payments will no longer be accepted over the phone. Renewal can be done online at www.colorado.gov/dmv, by mail or in person.
3. If you did not receie your renewal card in the mail, you must come into the office in order to renew your vehicle.
4. Office Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., no titles will be processed after 4:00 p.m.
The Gilpin County Clerk and Recorder’s office is responsible for vehicle registration, titling and issuing license plates.
You may pay for your license fees with personal checks, cash or credit cards.
Effective July 1, 2006: Effective July 1, 2006, regardless of purchase date, the only person(s) that may pick up a title, plates or temporary in the County they reside in must be the named owner of the vehicle. If not the named owner a power of attorney will be required. A letter of authorization has to be given to an agent before they can do a transaction for a business.
Driver’s Licenses: You may obtain information at the Colorado Department of Revenue, Driver’s License Division, 1881 Pierce St., Lakewood, CO 80214. M-F, 8:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m. (303) 205-5600
Titling a Vehicle
- Purchasing a Vehicle
- Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent
- State of Colorado Power of Attorney of Motor Vehicle Only
- Temporary Permits
- Titling a Vehicle from Out of State
- Duplicate Titles
- Selling a Vehicle
- Homemade Trailers
- Sales Tax Information
- Power of Attorney
- Forms (Colorado Department of Revenue)